Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A 'tougher' fedora

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Lex: I can say from experience that you won't be sorry with a FieldMaster. I've had mine for about 2 1/2 years now, & other than a little sun fading on the ribbon, that lid has worn like iron (without the rust). They start out a tad stiff out of the box, but with a little handling, shaping & wearing they soften up real nice & hold their shape well. they're easy to shape too, so if you go for a center dent, or a c-crown it's a snap.
For the money, I think they're the best 'bang for the buck'.

100_1062.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

tm3

Familiar Face
JMHO, as someone new to fedoras but not new to outdoor activities like hiking :

heat dissipation during activity is important to comfort, and 70% of the body's heat loss goes out via the head. although i have not worn a felt fedora on a hot summer day (yet), they seem to do a pretty good job of heat retention which is not what one usually wants out on the trail.

for hiking i wear a tilley, and for golf i wear one of these:
http://www.outbackshade.com/sportsman.htm
which is a little more stylish than a tilley. i'd say that both are equally uncomfortable on a hot day, but a cooler choice than felt, and both keep the sun and rain off. the tilley has gotten pretty beaten up over the years but is still functional.

JerseyJones

Vendor
Hey there my friend. You have definitely gotten some good advice on hats. The Federation is a solid performer. It was the first Fed I ever owned and I still have her sitting proudly on the ol' rack.

The Camptown is built to take a beating and hold up well, too. Most importantly, feel free to ask any questions here before you buy. That's what we are here for.

Cheers
Ken - Jersey

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hey, good to hear from you Ken!:)

Yeah, like Ken said, be sure to ask plenty of questions of the folks here that own particular hats like the Akubra, Camptown, AB or JPD. They'll be sure to tell you the merits of the hats they own and if they own a good cross section of hats, they can compare the merits of each.

Cheers!

Dan

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the replies everyone. tm3, living in Southern CA, I've learned the hard way about felt hats on hot days or with lots of activity. :D I've got a hemp tilley for those kind of days. I'm looking for something a bit more stylish for activity that's a bit lighter. Thanks for looking out for me though, you raised some important points.

I've decided to go with a Camptown Fieldmaster and I've been in touch with Ken. Thanks again everyone for all your input, you've been a valuable resource and I would have never heard of Camptown without you guys.

Cheers,
Alex

JerseyJones

Vendor
Lexybeast said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone. tm3, living in Southern CA, I've learned the hard way about felt hats on hot days or with lots of activity. :D I've got a hemp tilley for those kind of days. I'm looking for something a bit more stylish for activity that's a bit lighter. Thanks for looking out for me though, you raised some important points.

I've decided to go with a Camptown Fieldmaster and I've been in touch with Ken. Thanks again everyone for all your input, you've been a valuable resource and I would have never heard of Camptown without you guys.

Cheers,
Alex

Thanks my friend. Your research is an example of an informed decision about a hat choice. Ken

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Congreatulations Alex! You won't be sorry. I just wore mine about two weeks ago to Disneyland when the weather got a little warmer and it worked fine. The vented sweatband worked like a charm allowing the breeze up through the lid.

Well, I can't wait to see what Ken comes up with for you. Please post pics once you get it.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Lon Goval

Familiar Face
Vented Sweatband????

DanielJones said:
The vented sweatband worked like a charm allowing the breeze up through the lid.

What is a "vented sweatband" and where do you get them. I sweat so much that when riding in a bicycle pace-line, the person on my wheel would get a "salty shower". I could really use something to manage the sweat while wearing a hat.

Ralph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg