Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Hat for my Dad

texasgirl

One Too Many
I would like to get a fedora for my father for a Christmas gift. He has mentioned that he'd like one so here we go! I had my mom check his size, he's 7 1/8 in a straw Cowboy hat he recently purchased. Now, can I trust this to be his size in a fedora? Or am I going to have to try and measure him while he's napping after Thanksgiving dinner! lol I think I'd like to get him a vintage one too and the only thing I know for sure is he'd like it to be grey. So any suggestions ya'll have would be greatly appreciated!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Don't go by the straw cowboy size! I did that when I got Dee's first hat, 6 7/8 she is really a 7 1/8 to 7 1/4. You can take a soft cloth tape measure and measure the circumference of the straw and then go by the inches!:D

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
Good luck, you will probalbly be able to fine him a vintage in that smaller size on OFAS. Otherwise I would suggest an Akubra. Great hats for the money and most places have very fast shipping.
Depending on what you'd like to spend....I agree with RBH.
If you want new, then probably an Akubra is your best/safest bet, but you mentioned vintage, then I would try OFAS=ebay, for sure and depending on his size....you should have no problem finding him a nice Grey vintage hat in his size that I think he'll love. Good luck & Please show us what you end up getting him. ;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Since you live in Dallas, you might like to check out the Stetson/Resistol factory outlet store in Garland. Here's the address and phone number (no web site).

Hatco Hats

721 Marion Dr, Garland, TX 75042
(972) 494-0337

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will measure his straw hat before I proceed to make sure of the size. I will check the Akubra, I think Atomic Glee was the one telling me he liked them. Although I think my dad would probably like a vintage one. I'd forgotten about the Factory store, thanks JT. I know my husband got one there, a nice Stetson. Actually, it got fake blood on it when he was playing Clyde. During the ambush scene, Bonnie got a little carried away with spraying the fake blood! But hey, he did get to drive the car from the Warren Beatty movie, so he didn't complain all that much! But maybe I could get a 2-fer deal :) I'll keep ya'll posted.

fatwoul

Practically Family
texasgirl said:
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will measure his straw hat before I proceed to make sure of the size. I will check the Akubra, I think Atomic Glee was the one telling me he liked them. Although I think my dad would probably like a vintage one...

I'd recommend you try to find a way to measure your dad's head rather than measuring the inside of the straw hat, which will be a little more fiddly and more prone to inaccuracy.

I agree with those recommending Akubras, although I have started to notice some taper in my Federation Deluxe in the last few days (probably because my new Fieldmaster is very straight-sided). That's only a problem if your father is an Indiana Jones nut, which I suspect he is not.

If vintage is the way you want to go, the only hat I can comment on is my vintage Stetson Whippet, which is a very nice hat. Whippets can be picked up on the Bay all the time, although the more popular sizes get more pricey unless you're lucky. Look for auctions which close at a time that would be inconvenient for most US residents to be awake for - I've noticed they really do tend to go for less.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing what you find for your dad. :)

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
There've been several posts on the topic - the most common suggestion is get him a gift certificate because fit, style, etc. is a personal thing. To put it in simpler terms - what do you think the chances are of your dad going out and buying a little black cocktail dress that you'd be thrilled to have?

mineral

One of the Regulars
I have to second Mike in Seattle here.

You can buy the most beautiful vintage Borsalino that fits but it still can fail to look good. I think your father would not be any less happy if you take him out to go hat shopping and then buy the hat for him. It would not be satisfying for you or for him if on Christmas Day he finds a hat that just doesn't look good or that he doesn't like.

fatwoul

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
There've been several posts on the topic - the most common suggestion is get him a gift certificate because fit, style, etc. is a personal thing. To put it in simpler terms - what do you think the chances are of your dad going out and buying a little black cocktail dress that you'd be thrilled to have?

I agree with that in some respects, but not others. My sister and I advise each other on what we wear often, because we have an understanding of what works on each of us, and a good idea of the sorts of styles we each like. Clearly I wouldn't advise my sister to buy the clothes I would wear, nor would I want to wear the things I suggest for her.

texasgirl - A nice compromise might be to scope around a little first, make some calls, maybe visit some shops and explain what you want, and arrange to make a trip to the shop with your dad, so he can try hats on and select one in a way that involves you. You could make a nice day of it, and depending where you go, you might find a shop that makes hats on-site, who would be willing to show your dad the process. That way, not only will the hat he gets be what he wanted, but a souvenir of a nice day out with his daughter.

fatwoul

Practically Family
mineral said:
...I think your father would not be any less happy if you take him out to go hat shopping and then buy the hat for him...

Oops should have read your post, mineral. Great minds, eh? :eek:

flylot74

One of the Regulars
My dear Texasgirl. Listen to mineral and hear an old man here. I as a father would be thrilled to have my daughter take me shopping for a hat for my Christmas present. Not only would I get a present I really love, that is spending a wonderful time with a fantastic daughter, but I would also get a great hat! What else could a father ever want?

He is a lucky man!

art92101

One of the Regulars
How about a JC Penny's Marathon???

I wear a 7 1/8 which I think is a popular size. Its kind of hard to find gray vintage 71/8 hats. And when you do they are priced up due to competitive bidding. Whippets are great but a gray one will be tough. try a Penny's Marathon. I have one in 71/4 gray if you want to talk. post me.

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I have a feeling my Dad wants a hat to wear to my occasional re-enactments, or the occasional party, when we all dress up. He doesn't know anything about hats, just wants one nicer than his current one. Which I think is a Stacy Adams and was picked up at K&G for $14.99! It's too big and he has tissues stuffed inside to make smaller. So we are not dealing with someone who is into hats like all of you. Although, I do think he might really like wearing one, and I could see him wearing it a lot more than just for those occasions. I think he'd like a vintage one, just because he'd think it would be cool-lol. But I haven't had the best of luck with ebay lately so I don't know if I want to chance it! I do like the idea of taking him out shopping. I do love seeing the look on his face at Christmas when I surprise him, but I think a day of shopping would be fun too! Just for fun, here's a picture of him and my mom from the party I had a couple weeks ago and the sad hat that he'd like to replace!

4deuces2007005.jpg

texasgirl

One Too Many
Mike in Seattle said:
To put it in simpler terms - what do you think the chances are of your dad going out and buying a little black cocktail dress that you'd be thrilled to have?

Answer: slim to none! Very good point Mike, thanks!

texasgirl

One Too Many
Okay, so here's the hat for my Dad. My mom and I went to Hatco and picked this up. It's a Stetson Sovereign and it also said Chatham- I think that's the Style? It's actually more of a greenish brown, loden color. I think it will be a great starter hat, and if he like wearing a hat, I figured we could take him to Peter's Bros in March for his birthday and get something a little more expensive. So how did we do? Oh, and it was $48.
IMG_2112.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

Flieger

Practically Family
If you dad does not like it - Send it to me! I would wear it in a heartbeat (but I would remove the feathers). :eusa_clap

/F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82