Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

34" Waist 1950 Pattern Jungle Green Shorts

I have a pair of unissiued, unworn, straight from the bundle (read: creased but unworn), British military 1950 pattern Jungle Green shorts. They have cross-over belt loops at the waistband. All buttons and buckles are present. 2 rear pockets. PM with interest. Rare size 34 waist. They measure to a true size 34.

I'll put up pictures and full measurements later this evening.

bk

These but green, and not 29" waist. 34".

1950PatternShorts1.jpg

1950PatternShorts2.jpg

1950PatternShorts3.jpg

bk

Speedster

Practically Family
Baron Kurtz said:
Now i wish i'd picked up more of them. About 2 months ago a shop in London was flooded with them. I got a pair for myself (marked "Ghurkas" :eek: ;) ), a pair for A. Eardley, and this pair. Most of the ones i left behind were size 34". At 20 GBP a pop they were a bit much for my pocket book.

bk

:cry: :cry: :cry:

If you happen to visit that place again and they are still flooded, you know where to find me...:D

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Unusual label... and the belt loops aren't usually found on 1950 pattern. Look at the 'Height' measurement. The buckles are different from the usual, too. MFY is not a usual designation for British firm...Australian, I wonder? Isn't that PTY? Indian or Pakistani, I wonder?

Actually, 1950 pattern KD shorts aren't that rare. Longs are rarer - Are you going to show your Trousers Airmen?

Silverman's do reasonable repro KD 1950 pattern shorts and longs on OFAS for between 20 and 30 GBP.

Alan

Doug C

Practically Family
Hey I bought these off of BK, and looking forward to receiving them. I sort of have a vision of living this summer dressed in WWII era military shorts as much as possible. I'm also going to pick up a pair of the Luftwaffe tropical tan shorts and Japanese jungle or naval shorts, German reed green HBT ones too (probably from Keith7524fnl on ebay)... the US used shorts were just too short for my likeing though :eek: .

Doug C

Hi Alan,

I have wondered re the source or proposed recipient military of these shorts. The HK/72 . . . might suggest Hong Kong? Therefore British? They are cut exactly like the Brit shorts and trousers i own . . . but you're right, the buckles are different. The belt loops combined with cross-over straps is an interesting feature, and one of the reasons i picked 'em up in the first place.

I was thinking that though the shorts ('50 pattern) were not so rare, maybe a 34" waist was pretty scarce (at least in my experience).

bk

Alan Eardley said:
Unusual label... and the belt loops aren't usually found on 1950 pattern. Look at the 'Height' measurement. The buckles are different from the usual, too. MFY is not a usual designation for British firm...Australian, I wonder? Isn't that PTY? Indian or Pakistani, I wonder?

Actually, 1950 pattern KD shorts aren't that rare. Longs are rarer - Are you going to show your Trousers Airmen?

Silverman's do reasonable repro KD 1950 pattern shorts and longs on OFAS for between 20 and 30 GBP.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Most of the Ghurka battallions were stationed in HK during the 70s. You usually associate their kit with JG. These are the odd shade of Khaki that is labelled green that Brayley and Ingram mention in their book, but they are clearly later than the items they show.

As Ben points out, the early Canadian stuff has a WD-style Broad Arrow within a 'C'. I have some 70s Canadian kit (I LOVE their para gear) that doesn't have the Broad Arrow at all, so I think they may have dropped the symbol for at least some of their gear. I've seen DPM tropical trousers with X-over straps and belt loops.

In short (sic), another mystery. I really don't know. That's what is fascinating...

Yes, 34" waist 1950 pattern pants are VERY rare!

Alan

Baron Kurtz said:
Hi Alan,

I have wondered re the source or proposed recipient military of these shorts. The HK/72 . . . might suggest Hong Kong? Therefore British? They are cut exactly like the Brit shorts and trousers i own . . . but you're right, the buckles are different. The belt loops combined with cross-over straps is an interesting feature, and one of the reasons i picked 'em up in the first place.

I was thinking that though the shorts ('50 pattern) were not so rare, maybe a 34" waist was pretty scarce (at least in my experience).

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007