Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1960's reversible tweed Lawman coats

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just looking at another thread just now got me thinking of my high school days in Baltimore in the mid-1960's. Does anyone remember the reversible "Lawman" coat? One side was canvas and the other was either a very nice tweed or a navy blue serge. They were immensely popular, but I've never seen one on ebay, or anywhere else for that matter. Was it only a Baltimore style?

tropicalbob

Further details: the coat had a shawl collar, so that if you wore the tweed side on the outside you had a canvas collar,and, of course, vice versa. It also had handwarmer pockets on both sides. Many thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction.

tropicalbob

This is very similar but not exact, as the ones I remember were copies of the one worn by Marshall Dillon on the "Lawman" tv show and had a longer and wider collar. I think they began with brown suede and then expanded into herringbone Harris tweeds of , I remember noting at the time, a wide variety of colors. And thanks.

pipvh

Practically Family
I'm about 99% sure that Dinerman's coat was made by Invertere of Newton Abbot down here in Devon, which closed a few years ago.

tropicalbob

I'm sure you're right with regard to Dinerman's photo, but the ones I remember were, as I said, slightly different in the details, although very uniform in the manufacture. Because they were so wildly popular among my peers at that time and place, and the fact that I haven't seen any on the bay or elsewhere, I wonder if it wasn't a strictly local thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld