Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s Unknown Maker Black Horsehide Cross Zip, size Medium

Kubatu

A-List Customer
I don't know who actually made this jacket, maybe Windward / Montgomery Ward? The corduroy hem is pretty distinctive. I will do a little research and try to find out before listing it on Ebay. Really nice condition cross zip: zippers work smoothly, zipper hems in good shape. Besides standard wear on edges and some wear to the lining, the jacket is in excellent. Accompanied by a brown mouton fur collar. No labels, but I would be surprised if this was not horsehide based on the graining. Shorter cross zip length.

Only unusual thing I would note is that the jacket has holes in the "middle" area. These were likely a DIY side adjuster project.

Measurements:

Pit to pit: 22
Shoulder to shoulder: 19
Bottom of collar to hem: 22.5
Top of shoulder to sleeve cuff: 24.5

Price: Send me an offer!

bRWKhLo.jpeg
gyTAkmN.jpeg
4LSMZd3.jpeg
xoDAYzO.jpeg
rXHY6xV.jpeg
U0Xhg7y.jpeg
MkczGzI.jpeg
hylm0Wt.jpeg

Nacho

Practically Family
I think yours is a JC Penney with the "Made and Styled in the West" denomination. Who's in the West? I have no clue.

JCPenney_2stars_StyledinWest_1.jpg

JCPenney_2stars_StyledinWest_2.jpg

JCPenney_2stars_StyledinWest_3.jpg

JCPenney_2stars_StyledinWest_4.jpg

JCPenney_2stars_StyledinWest_5.jpg

There is also another version with the black lining and without the "Made in West" which I believe made by Daniel Boone.

JCPenney_2stars_DBoone_5.jpg

JCPenney_2stars_DBoone_2.jpg

JCPenney_2stars_DBoone_1.jpg

Daniel Boone label. For some reasons, this one doesn't have the snap at the top collar.

9deb7ca6eb7907bf25c6264cc8b4b559.jpg

9701ec907a58510565566ef7e0c4fced.jpg

A few differences between the two versions:

- Coin pocket flap
- Single stitching vs double stitching at the epaulets
- Triangle patch above the belt loops
- The 3 studs at the back (bigger vs smaller)
- The middle seam at the kidney panel (lower vs higher)

Also, it seems that Sid Vicious wore the Daniel Boone version. You can read the lore on the Schott forum here.

https://www.schottnyc.com/forum/posts/sid_vicious_perfecto.htm

Nacho

Practically Family
I also found the same jacket design but with the AMC Sportswear label. I don't know anthing about it or if it was related to Daniel Boone. My guess is that AMC might be the real maker and Daniel Boone was probably their label. Kinda similar to Kurland and Star Sportswear.

AMC_Sportswear_Crosszip_DBoone_1.jpg

AMC_Sportswear_Crosszip_DBoone_2.jpg

AMC_Sportswear_Crosszip_DBoone_3.jpg

AMC_Sportswear_Crosszip_DBoone_4.jpg

AMC_Sportswear_Crosszip_DBoone_5.jpg

AMC_Sportswear_Crosszip_DBoone_6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg