Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1950s Hercules New to Me via TFL

pawineguy

One Too Many
Thank you to gtdean48 for a smooth transaction on a terrific jacket. Condition is incredible, the horsehide is light but tough, and the patina is very nice. Liner, zippers, pockets all in fantastic condition. This will become a warm weather leather jacket for me. Sorry for the lousy fit pic, couldn't find the right light but will try again tomorrow. The collar shot is the best image of what the patina looks like on the jacket and of the contrast stitching.

IMG_4434.JPG
IMG_4436.JPG
IMG_4474.JPG
IMG_4497 3.JPG

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
A very nice jacket. If it were a different size I would have have paid the money. It looks like an earlier label than typical for the 50s Hercules, more late 40s. I have several 50s Hercules and they all fit very nicely, they wear well. This one you have looks perfect fit. A nice condition well fitting vintage leather is nice indeed. Take some more pics they look good. I bought that steer hide 50s Hercules out of the classifieds a few months back. Very nice.

T

pawineguy

One Too Many
A very nice jacket. If it were a different size I would have have paid the money. It looks like an earlier label than typical for the 50s Hercules, more late 40s. I have several 50s Hercules and they all fit very nicely, they wear well. This one you have looks perfect fit. A nice condition well fitting vintage leather is nice indeed. Take some more pics they look good. I bought that steer hide 50s Hercules out of the classifieds a few months back. Very nice.

T

Thank you, I will be putting up some more pics. I don't have any knowledge or way of dating the jacket, but I'm thrilled with the condition and the fit.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It's a really nice jacket. Do you find it runs a little long? The measurements seemed longer than most of the vintage jackets I've seen listed.

pawineguy

One Too Many
It's a really nice jacket. Do you find it runs a little long? The measurements seemed longer than most of the vintage jackets I've seen listed.

Yes, I agree 100%. I specifically bought it because of the sleeve and back length, which works perfectly for me. Not sure if this was originally sold as a "tall", as I understand that Sears did sell tall sizes in these jackets with an extra inch added.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Depending on the style some of the 50s Hercs run long others not.

This is the 50s Hercules Steer I got out of the classifieds. Light leather and lining. Size 44.

I have a couple of more that are shorter. They fit me pretty well.

DSC09145.JPG

DSC09139.JPG

DSC09135.JPG

This is a 40s Horsehide with no maker label.

DSC09177.JPG

DSC09152.JPG

DSC09164.JPG

this is a 40s HH Monarch that is also longer.

nWuWn4scKGvc7dl1B4OMPMchlqcgR_LujaRebY6AzpQ=w820-h519-no

Here is a unlabeled 50s/60s short black. Size 42

DSC05420.JPG

DSC05421.JPG

Nice collection Tmitchell59!
I tried a few Hercules jackets, but the ones I found were too short for my taste.
That is until I found a "surcoat" model that is 26.5" long. It was originally a belted model, and came with the original belt. I sent it to Johnson Leathers for a reline, and had them use the belt to make side adjuster straps. Now it's a great long half-belt. Not original, but I like it a lot!

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I've got lots more vids and pics of my many (too many) jackets. I will have to get some more posted. I think the vids really show how the jacket moves, falls, fits, at least on me. Not sure why more people don't do it.

I'm a big fan of the 50s stuff. It is usually more size friendly and in better shape, but not always. The pre-war leather is, in many cases, very delicate. I like to wear a jacket. I've worn out some nice vintage jackets.

trapp

Practically Family
tmitchell, where can I watch those videos?

And handymike, any chance of seeing pics of the jacket you mention above? I also have a belted jacket, same length of 26.5, that I was thinking of doing the same exact thing with - having the belt converted to side adjusters. Would love to see how your's turned out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld