Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1912 Gem Razor in bakelite box. Care?

James71

A-List Customer
I picked this up on ebay last week and its made the long trip across the pacific to my place. Its a lovely little piece, but I am unsure what the box in made out of. The seller said bakelite, but isnt that usually dark in colour?

Its a lovely butterscotch colour with a definite "grain". Does anyone want to hazard a guess at what this plastic might be, and how to look after it?

Thanks in advance,

James

400128941_tp.jpg

400128019_tp.jpg

400127782_tp.jpg

Geesie

Practically Family
I can't think of any other plastics that were in common use at that time.

Also, I think that Bakelite came in lots of colors, some light.

Mav

A-List Customer
Geesie said:
Also, I think that Bakelite came in lots of colors, some light.
It did- used to have a pocket opium scale my maternal grandad got from somewhere, in almost the same color Bakelite.
Nice looking razor, James. As far as care goes, Bakelite seems to be pretty breakable stuff- don't drop it. Which should be easy; I mean, it's not like it will ever be used in slippery conditions, like being all soaped- up, or anything. :D

Feraud

Bartender
As has been noted bakelite came in many colors. Soap and water should clean it if necessary. Don't drop it. ;)
Your photos show two different colors.
I have a Micromatic in a yellow case. The Gems are awesome shavers.
DSC08624.jpg

J.J. Gittes

A-List Customer
Although very similar to bakelite, It may be catalin, which is in the same family but came in more colors and didn't have a filler item in it such as sawdust or carbon.

davestlouis

Practically Family
I'm told that bakelite smells like shellac when it gets warm...I don't know how warm it has to get to get that aroma though...

I have a 1930s era Schick Injector razor with a butterscotch-colored bakelite handle, so I know the material came in lighter colors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe