Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You know you are getting old when:

Edward

Bartender
https://americansongwriter.com/this...eal-opener-for-first-date-of-their-2024-tour/
As The Rolling Stones start their 2024 US tour, you know that you are getting old when you can remember band members, Brian Jones, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts. Good grief, Mick Jagger will be 81 in July.

Having said that, Jagger's youngest child, presented to him by his girlfriend, Melanie Hamrick, is his son Deveraux, 7, born in 2016 when Mick was 73.
In October 2023, he opened up about fatherhood during an interview with British newspaper, The Guardian.

His one time girlfriend, Marianne Faithfull, whom he dated for 4 years in the late sixties, went into an old people's nursing home three years ago.

Charlie was a sad loss. I've long loved the story about how, on tour back in the wild days, Jagger phoned his room from the hotel bar and demanded to know "Where's my drummer?" at three in the morning. Charlie got up, shaved, dressed immaculately in one of his Savile Row suits (I believe he patronised Huntsman right to the end), calmly went down to the bar.... and socked Jagger right on the nose. "I'm not your drummer. You're my singer." he said, firmly.... and then returned to bed.

I have always suspected the Stones will just keep going until either Mick or Keith can no longer take playing live, then that'll be it. There are other acts who've been around more or less as long - Dylan, Macartney in particular - though somehow as a rock and roll band the Stones seem to be the ones testing the limits of age. I hope they've still got it when they decide to call it a day - Sinatra was a tower of talent, but his last few shows, well... I don't think he was up to it any longer, a shame. OTOH, I saw Jerry Lee Lewis' last ever UK show some years ago. He may have been physically more sedate at 80, but it was *all* still there where it counted - the voice, the magic fingers. Not a bad thing on stage that night, save for DJ Mike Reid they'd brought in to compere, name-dropping Princes Diana and generally making a twit of himself.

Charlie was a sad loss. I've long loved the story about how, on tour back in the wild days, Jagger phoned his room from the hotel bar and demanded to know "Where's my drummer?" at three in the morning. Charlie got up, shaved, dressed immaculately in one of his Savile Row suits (I believe he patronised Huntsman right to the end), calmly went down to the bar.... and socked Jagger right on the nose. "I'm not your drummer. You're my singer." he said, firmly.... and then returned to bed.

I have always suspected the Stones will just keep going until either Mick or Keith can no longer take playing live, then that'll be it. There are other acts who've been around more or less as long - Dylan, Macartney in particular - though somehow as a rock and roll band the Stones seem to be the ones testing the limits of age. I hope they've still got it when they decide to call it a day - Sinatra was a tower of talent, but his last few shows, well... I don't think he was up to it any longer, a shame. OTOH, I saw Jerry Lee Lewis' last ever UK show some years ago. He may have been physically more sedate at 80, but it was *all* still there where it counted - the voice, the magic fingers. Not a bad thing on stage that night, save for DJ Mike Reid they'd brought in to compere, name-dropping Princes Diana and generally making a twit of himself.
I saw the Stones live in Seattle 1975 (or so), paid $25 for the ticket and I bought it from a scalper. Interesting things is; I thought they were old back then.

There is something about music and where the 'memory' resides in our mind. I sang in a choir for many years and at Christmas we would visit numerous aged care homes. We put together a program of songs from the 1940's & 50's. There would be folks, almost comatose, sitting in wheelchairs but from time to time as we began to sing a song popular in their youth they would sit up in their chairs and start to sing along.

I fear I’d be embarrassed for myself for attending a Rolling Stones show these days.

An old girlfriend and I were in the audience during the Seattle stop on the Sinatra/Sammy Davis Jr./Dean Martin tour (but Martin bowed out mid-tour and was replaced by Liza Minnelli) back in, like, 1988(?).

So I can say I saw Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. and Liza Minnelli in the flesh. That’s about it, really. Sinatra wore a rug and Sammy did a song and dance or two and Liza looked out of place. That’s what I remember. And Sinatra and Sammy were both younger than Jagger and McCartney and Dylan are today, by upwards of a decade.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
I saw the Stones live in Seattle 1975 (or so), paid $25 for the ticket and I bought it from a scalper. Interesting things is; I thought they were old back then.

They were definitely considered "old" when I saw them in Wembley Stadium in 1999 (the fort quid the tickets cost seemed enormous them, but these days that's about par for the course at much smaller affairs). Great show, though. Jagger had more energy than a lot of performers half his age. Not seen them since... when it got to £75 for a standing spot in an arena so big I'd be watching the screen all night to see anything, I bowed out.

I fear I’d be embarrassed for myself for attending a Rolling Stones show these days.

An old girlfriend and I were in the audience during the Seattle stop on the Sinatra/Sammy Davis Jr./Dean Martin tour (but Martin bowed out mid-tour and was replaced by Liza Minnelli) back in, like, 1988(?).

So I can say I saw Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr. and Liza Minnelli in the flesh. That’s about it, really. Sinatra wore a rug and Sammy did a song and dance or two and Liza looked out of place. That’s what I remember. And Sinatra and Sammy were both younger than Jagger and McCartney and Dylan are today, by upwards of a decade.

I saw Dylan in 2022; he was I think 80 or 81 then. He stopped playing guitar live some years ago with his arthritis, though he still plays keys. That last show we saw was in Oxford at the end of a long tour, and he was clearly exhausted by the end of it. Still a great performance, though. I suspect he might be stepping back on doing as many live dates in future, but he's one of the few who've been around that long still putting out consistently great new material. This must be his fourth or fifth wind by this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR