Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

measuring for long oval

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
im curious about how to measure to see if im long oval. I know its a length vs width of head, but does that mean running the tape measure over the curve of my scalp? Or measuring a 'straight' line?

JimWagner

Practically Family
im curious about how to measure to see if im long oval. I know its a length vs width of head, but does that mean running the tape measure over the curve of my scalp? Or measuring a 'straight' line?

I've wondered the same thing. Googling around I haven't been able to find any kind of standard for defining the different ovals. Most of the sites basically say you have to try the hats on and see what fits. If the long oval fits best then you're a long oval. Makes me believe that there really isn't a standard and that one manufacturer's long oval in your size may not fit exactly the same as one from a different manufacturer. Never mind type of hat differences.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
I couldn't find the post in this version of the forum so here is the info pulled from google cache.

"You can measure the circumference with a tailor's measure and then convert that number. Google hat sizing. The European have it right sizing the hat by circumference in Centimeters, no confusion. The only other problem is head shape. Round oval. oval, long oval, extra long oval. To determine that you'll need a set of outside calipers and this . . .
"Round oval is 5/8 inch longer than it is wide
"Regular oval is 1 3/8 inches longer than it is wide
"Long oval is 2 1/8 inches longer than it is wide
"X-Long oval is 2 7/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XX-Long oval is 3 5/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XXX-Long oval is 4 3/8 inches longer than it is wide."

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I couldn't find the post in this version of the forum so here is the info pulled from google cache.

"You can measure the circumference with a tailor's measure and then convert that number. Google hat sizing. The European have it right sizing the hat by circumference in Centimeters, no confusion. The only other problem is head shape. Round oval. oval, long oval, extra long oval. To determine that you'll need a set of outside calipers and this . . .
"Round oval is 5/8 inch longer than it is wide

"Regular oval is 1 3/8 inches longer than it is wide
"Long oval is 2 1/8 inches longer than it is wide
"X-Long oval is 2 7/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XX-Long oval is 3 5/8 inches longer than it is wide
"XXX-Long oval is 4 3/8 inches longer than it is wide."

Unfortunately these proportions vary by manufacturer and increase with hat size as well. Sounds about right for some size 7-1/2+ hats. When I first read(last year) this I measured a bunch of hats and found no 7-1/4 LO's with a size difference of greater than 1-11/16"

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
hmmm kind of difficult to do on myself then :)

Well, I suppose you could just close your head in the window long ways and cross ways and measure the resulting distances, but it would require a gentle touch. That's assuming you don't own a set of phrenologist's calipers.

I found this listing of the different types of ovals at http://www.ascot-tophats.co.uk/default.html (click on the size&shape button at left):

Round oval is 5/8 inch longer than it is wide
Regular oval is 1 3/8 inches longer than it is wide
Long oval is 2 1/8 inches longer than it is wide
X-Long oval is 2 7/8 inches longer than it is wide
XX-Long oval is 3 5/8 inches longer than it is wide
XXX-Long oval is 4 3/8 inches longer than it is wide

I can't swear it's correct, but I remember the 2-1/8" difference for long oval from a different source, so that's something.
This is not the chart I remember seeing elsewhere on the lounge.

PS well Banjo and RLK beat me to it - it looks like the info from the lounge was pulled from the Ascot site, however.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Unfortunately these proportions vary by manufacturer and increase with hat size as well. Sounds about right for some size 7-1/2+ hats. When I first read(last year) this I measured a bunch of hats and found no 7-1/4 LO's with a size difference of greater than 1-11/16"

It is better than the more common "if you head is longer than normal it is a long oval" type of statement pretty much all of the hat vendors use but certainly not 100% accurate.

There would have to be a specific ratio of length to width that would actually determine the oval but since we don't even have standardized sizes in the American hat industry that would be asking a bit much.

Basically, if your head is the length of a size up and the width of a size down - you are a long oval. If you can't get a long oval get the next size up and put a little padding in the sides, you won't even notice it. If you buy a hat stretcher get one for one size smaller than your head circumference.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But Why?

First real hat I bought was a Akubra Federation. I measured my head with a tape measure and ordered that size (59 or 7 3/8 if you prefer) The hat was tight at the front and back for months till it molded to my head shape. Every hat I have bought since then has been one size up (60 or 7 1/2 if you prefer) and I let it shrink down to my head size/shape. It was not till I bought a straw cowboy hat that I learned I was a 59 LO (or 7 3/8 LO if you prefer) because I bought it in a store and could try different hats on. So it goes back to what was originally said "go to a store and try some hats on"

May seem like an odd question but why do you want to know if you are a Long Oval? I don't ever recall seeing a modern fedora sized LO. Only vintage, western and some custom hats use LO.

Johnny

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, I suppose you could just close your head in the window long ways and cross ways and measure the resulting distances, but it would require a gentle touch. That's assuming you don't own a set of phrenologist's calipers.

Oh, thats hilarious! But I'll bet it works. Too bad I just moved into a house with casement windows. =oD

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
May seem like an odd question but why do you want to know if you are a Long Oval? I don't ever recall seeing a modern fedora sized LO. Only vintage, western and some custom hats use LO.

Johnny

Most reputable hat shops can stretch a new hat to long oval for you if you ask. If you don't have a local hat shop and need to order a hat "mail order" you are going to need to tell them you are a long oval.

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
Thanks to Art I just found out I was a LO....

I always had problems with hats, either had to stick some foam behind the sweatband or they would fit the front and back and always had a slight opening in sides.

I guessed the hats were all not made exactly right...

I have no hat stores around me and when I would mail order a large, sometimes it would sort of fit and sometimes it slop down and hang on my ears.....

Now I have one VS LO with a wonderful fit and am waiting to get my call for the next one. it does make a wonderful difference when wearing a hat that actually fits you, rather than rigging it up to be a close fit. IMHO

Those of you who live near a good hat store are very very lucky......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007