Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Celluloid, Bakelite, Lucite and other vintage plastics

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I had a little fun photographing part of my collection this evening, so I thought I would share my pics :)

Here are some of my brooches (with a pair of Carmen Miranda-esque shoe clips for good measure):

47b6ce24b3127cce8dbc13b196cd00000005108AatmbRq2ctP
47b6ce24b3127cce8dbc380957c800000016108AatmbRq2ctP
47b6ce24b3127cce8dbc38f4d60500000016108AatmbRq2ctP

The oranges are Venetian glass on a celluloid chain, the grapes are brass with glass leaves, and clogs are, of course, wooden.

Since Lauren is on a bit of western kick, she'll enjoy the gal in the center :) The majorette is the 1944 Ice Capades girl (designed by Petty.)

47b6ce24b3127cce8dbc1132964f00000006108AatmbRq2ctP

Here is Petty's drawing:
47b6ce24b3127cce8dbc204d578000000015108AatmbRq2ctP

Animal brooches--the fox is made from real fox fur; Freckles the Donkey is painted wood, and the donkey pulling the cart is silver:

47b6ce24b3127cce8dbc3d2b177000000005138AatmbRq2ctP

A few more brooches:
47b6ce24b3127cce8dbc11e8969500000006108AatmbRq2ctP

artdecodame

One of the Regulars
Just lovely, all of them!! I have many animal brooches from my grandmother, mostly with cute stones. I'm a sucker for shiny things, what can I say? :p

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
What a great collection!

I know the cherries are particularly collectable. Do you know the history behind them?

I think my favorite is the A initial. Makes me think of Laverne from "Laverne & Shirley".

I fear this might send me to eBay in quest for one...

Thanks for sharing Jitterbugdoll!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Thanks all! Feel free to post your collections--I'd love to see them :)

Lauren, the cowgirl is not a member of Sally Rand's Nude Ranch--she is indeed wearing a classic 1930s western ensemble lol

Miss Dottie--initial jewelry was popular in the 1930s-40s (I have an 'M' for 'Mandy' too.) I was inspired by a friend's fabulous 3-D lucite initial pin, though I never found one in quite the same style with my initial :)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Wow! Just lovely Jitterbug! I don't have any bakelite apart from an early piece of forbidden fruit that is a little double lemon pin with rhinestones. I love your collection.
I think vintage jewellery is just the best thing ever.
I love the colours of bakelite pins they are so distinctive and easy to spot as they are so different to just about anything else. I love all of your pieces.
I have just been shopping this afternoon and put a deposit on a 1930's rhinestone and pearl duette, I'll post pics when it's paid off and in my eager mitts!!!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Those are so adorable, Jitterbugdoll! I've always wanted some cellulite jewelry, but I've never come across it (short of the bay). Where did you find yours?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Those are so adorable, Jitterbugdoll! I've always wanted some cellulite jewelry, but I've never come across it (short of the bay). Where did you find yours?

I have found some pieces in local shops, but many of mine came from eBay :)

know the cherries are particularly collectable. Do you know the history behind them?

There are a number of highly popular bakelite pieces today, including the popular "cherries and log" design. Considering that bakelite jewelry was a dimestore option during the Depression, it is kind of amusing when you see the prices the pieces sell for today!

Two of my cherry brooches are bakelite, and the third (the one whose stems need to be re-waxed) is laquered wood. The wood brooch is probably a little more rare, but the bakelite versions sell for more money :)

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I can't even come close to matching your amazing collection JBD, but here are some of my pieces, minus the bracelets and some beaded necklaces.

I really love the knot-with-rhinestone-heart piece, unfortunately it didn't photograph very well.

celluloid.jpg

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jitterbugdoll said:
I think the Knot-and-Heart pin is my favorite, too :)

The colors on the Autumn leaves necklace are fabulous as well!

Thanks! The necklace is my newest acquisition, I am still trying to figure out what to wear it with. Thoughts? I never wear the ball earrings on the top right but I have just decided I ought to!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I just won a similar necklace, and I wore it the other day with a burnt orange silk top and dark brown trousers. I think it will also work well with dresses, blouses, and sweaters in a similar color scheme that pull out the autumnal colors.

You necklace appears to be a bit brighter though, but I would probably pair it with deeper greens (hunter, perhaps), browns, reds, and oranges to really set it off.

Two more new acquisitions of mine:
47b6d702b3127cce8dd33d449f6500000016108AatmbRq2ctP

41_1_sbl.JPG

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh, I have one like that acorn one, but mine is all wood. It's kind of fun to see one with the plastic. Here's what I have. I think these are Celluloid- not sure. By the way, how can you tell if something is celluloid or bakelite?
jewelry.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko